100 year Anniversary Preparations!
The Fair is over for 2012 but we are looking forward to 2013! 100 years of the Sooke Fall Fair. Start now to create your entries for this special fair and please, please volunteer to help out! Everyone is welcome! For more information send and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Hard Working Committee
The Raffle for the Quilt
last minute ticket purchaser!
getting ready to draw!
drawing the ticket!
quilt winner! - Brent Hutchison
shown daughter and husband - Rod and Elizabeth Johnston
We need the public’s help!!
In 1913 Sooke held its first Fall Fair. One hundred years later the
Sooke Fall Fair is still going strong. To compile a complete history of
our Fair we need assistance from the public. We have most of the Fall
Fair catalogues from 1950 to 2012 but are missing: 1960, 1961, 1964,
1965, 1969 and 1973. If anyone has copies of these we would like to scan
them for our collection.
We are also looking for any information from 1913 to 1949; this could be pictures, entry tags, ribbons, section/class lists, trophies, prizes, newspaper articles, family stories, etc.
Over the years we have seen many trophies, many were donated by businesses and some in memory of Fall Fair volunteers or entrants. Our goal is to locate as many of these trophies as possible and record the history of the trophy. We have been quite successful in finding most of them, but some elude us.
These are the trophies we would like to find:
- Daily Colonist Challenge Cup, for Most Points in Produce, active from about 1950 to 1978.
- Schooner’s Restaurant Trophy for Best Red Rose, 1986 to 1989
- K and R Foods Trophy for Greatest Number of Points in Kitchencraft, 1978 to 1980
- Trophy donated by Mrs. A. White for Most outstanding entry in Baked Products (classes 301 to 326), 1967
- Sooke Shop Easy Trophy for Greatest Number of Points in Kitchencraft, 1975 to 1977
- Were there 2 BC Electric Trophies, one being a Rose Bowl and the other a Cup, circa 1950’s?
- Shawnigan Cup for Best piece of woodwork in Woodwork Class, 1970 to 1972
Wine & Beer:
- Seaview Pharmacy Trophy for Best overall wine entry in this section, 1983 to 1989
- Peoples Drug Mart Trophy for Best overall entry in Wine Making, 1977 to 1982
- Pete Wadams memorial Cup for Total points in 4H Garden Section, 1971 to 1975
- Sooke District 4H Garden Section Achievement Trophy, donated by Shirley Women’s Institute, 1970 to 1973
- B.C. Forest Products Cup for Most outstanding exhibit in the Fair by popular vote, 1966/1967
- B.C. Forest Products Cup for Grand Aggregate, 1975 to 1985
- Sooke Sight & Sound Trophy for Most Points in Sewing, 1989 to 1994
- Margo’s Flowers & Gifts Trophy, for Most Outstanding Flower Arrangement, 1975/1976
- Thomas Weeks Trophy for Best Collection of Vegetables, 1962 to 1972
- CIBC, Colwood Branch, Silver Tray for Greatest Number of Points in the Junior Section, 1952 to 1955
- CIBC, Sooke Branch, Rose Bowl for Greatest Number of Points in the Junior Section 1956 to 1984
- Rainbow Ribbons Trophy for Greatest Number of Points in the Junior Section, 1985 to 1990
- Action Sharpening Service Trophy for Most Points in the Junior Section, 1991 to 1994
- Sooke Centennial Committee Trophy for Most Outstanding Entry in the Junior Section, 1967
- Seaview Pharmacy Trophy for Most Outstanding Entry in the Junior Section, 1968 to 1976
- Western Forest Products Trophy, for Best Cavy in Show, 2002
- R. Kemper Trophy for Best Buck in the Rabbit Section, 1967
- R. Kemper Trophy for Best Doe in the Rabbit Section, 1967
- Trophy for Best Buck in the Rabbit Section, 1968
- Trophy for Best Doe in the Rabbit Section, 1968
- Trophy for Most Outstanding Pigeon, 1970
- Trophy for Most Outstanding Duck, 1975/1976
- Trophy for Most Outstanding Chicken, 1970 to 1980
- Trophy for Most Outstanding Rabbit 1970/1980
- Trophy for Most Outstanding Meat Rabbit 1977 to 1980
If you have any of these trophies we would just like to photograph them and record the winners for our records. Or, if you have pictures of these trophies we would like to scan them.
We are also looking for any old pictures (preferably dated and named), old entry tags with ribbons (dated), rosettes with dates, keeper trophies, Pet Parade trophies or prizes/mementos. We would appreciation donations of these items but would be just as happy to take photographs of the items or scan them.
Sooke Fall Fair Philosophy
The Sooke Fall Fair is a community fair that gives people an opportunity to congregate in the spirit of the "Rural Fair" philosophy.
The philosophy embodies:
- Pride in local natural resources
- Pride and focus on individual and family endeavours
- The integration of young and elderly, able and disabled, participator and spectator.
- The spirit of volunteerism in which our community has long prided itself.
- The Sooke Fall Fair, in this traditional annual event is a reflection of Sooke's strong community spirit.